webserver test environment

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Fri Feb 27 02:42:36 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 11:38 am, Gary wrote:

> I assumed that I set up a master zone file and a slave for the two
> nameservers (with my two IPs). You mention that this is wrong. How
> should I set it up? With a 'backup' primary as the second nameserver?

The concept of master and slave is local to the instance of bind
running.

The instance of bind running is on a per (physical) server basis.

You've got one physical server with one physical instance of bind.

So the relevant record in the /etc/bind/conf configuration file looks
something like this:

zone "example.com" { type master; file "/var/named/example.com.db"; };

The relevant zone file (in this case /var/named/example.com.db) should
have two NS records, one with each of the two IP#s.

The box should answer for both IP#s.

And if bind isn't configured by default to answer on all IP#s, then it
should be specifically configured to answer on the two IP#s.

I don't think I've missed anything, but if I have, then perhaps someone
will chime in and let me know.

> I can't help thinking it must be a very common scenario though.

All too common.

> (As far as the local testing goes, half of the incentive was to
> simply test the httpd set up - I guess that using hosts file is
> simplest for this. )

That's what I thought your interest was, and that's why I answered the
way I did.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation