dig with and without +norec

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Sun Feb 29 04:48:16 UTC 2004

> I am assuming you work for an ISP... I would bet that one
> of your customers was attempting to do something nasty on
> a US Air Force system and tripped one or more of the IDSs.
> Therefore your entire block of IPs probably got blocked
> at the AF perimeter.

yes, these things happen to isps on daily bases, and an isp has to deal
with them, I was trying to say, that bind could log such problems, when
servers are being retried again for hours, days, weeks, and instead of
wasting the resources on them, it might optionally stop doing it.

and my another point was why bind doesn't provide the data from the
cache, when it has them as a glue from parent to the recursive clients,
but only to non-recursive ones?

and another point is why the information about ip address of the server
the data came from has disappeared from the named_cache.db of bind9.2.3,
as I see from the DNS &Bind Book, 4th-edition 9.1.0 still had it.

Ladislav