Rebooting stops resolving for a while

bill bmanning at karoshi.com
Mon Jan 5 22:38:38 UTC 2004

> Hi,
> When I reboot my server sometimes my domains and mail servers are not
> available for an unknown amount of time but after several hours
> everything returns to normal and everything can be accessed. The strange
> thing is if after a reboot I try to access the domain or mail server
> from my machine at home it doesn't work but if I go somewhere on the net
> and try a ping test from somewhere else in the world it always works.
> Can someone take a look at my main zone file and and a client zone file
> and tell me if anything doesn't look right.
>
> Main Zone File
> $ttl 38400
> mydomain.com.	IN	SOA	55.55.55.55. mydomain.com. (
> 			2003111224
> 			10800
>                          3600
>                          604800
>                          38400 )
> mydomain.com.	IN	A	55.55.55.55
> mail.mydomain.com. IN	A	55.55.55.55
> smtp.mydomain.com. IN	A	55.55.55.55
> www.mydomain.com.  IN	A	55.55.55.55
> ftp.mydomain.com.  IN	A	55.55.55.55
> mydomain.com.	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
> mydomain.com.	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.
> mydomain.com.	IN	MX	5 mail.mydomain.com.
> mail.mydomain.com. IN	PTR	mydomain.com
>
> Client Zone File
> $ttl 38400
> clientdomain.com.	IN	SOA	abertron01. gary at abertron.co.uk. (
> 			2003111245
> 			10800
>                          3600
>                          604800
>                          38400 )
> clientdomain.com.		IN	A	55.55.55.55
> mail.clientdomain.com.		IN	A	55.55.55.55
> www.clientdomain.com.		IN	A	55.55.55.55
> ftp.clientdomain.com.		IN	A	55.55.55.55
> clientdomain.com.		IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
> clientdomain.com.		IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.
> clientdomain.com.		IN	MX	5 mail.mydomain.com.
>
> Basically nothing works from from home computer after I reboot the
> server but I seem to be able to access the server from elsewhere after a
> reboot so what on earth is going on here.
>
> I'm totaly confused any ideas.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary Mayor

	Well....

	Net 55 is assigned to the US Army.  None of their DNS reverse
	maps to the delegation "clientdomain.com".  Have you hijacked
	their address space or are you using it with permission?

	For that matter, the domain, "clientdomain.com" is registered
	to John Deneen, of Villanova, PA.  It does not appear that he
	has delegated any responsibility for this domain to you.  Have
	you hijacked this also?

	I would suggest that you correct your DNS entries to use your
	own delegations and cease and desist using others delegations.
	Things will work so much better for everyone.

--bill