How to register a nameserver?

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Jan 6 14:41:11 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 05:00 pm, Leith Johnson wrote:

> Is there anybody out there in net land that knows how to
> convince Network Solutions to register a DNS host?

Is the domain in question registered with them?  You can only register a
DNS host for a domain with the registrar of the domain.

About a year ago I had to change a host registered with Network
Solutions, and it took about fifteen minutes on hold to get a rep who
found the link for me.  I'm sorry I don't remember anymore, but if
you're in the US (where the phone call is free) their tech support has
gotten a lot better, and you should be able to get an answer quickly.

If you've used a different registrar for the domain, ask their tech
support.

We resell dotster, and they have a link called "Register Name Server"
which can be used to either register a host, or change the IP# of an
already registered host.

The problem from registrar to registrar appears to be that the usage of
the term "host" to mean a nameserver registered in the DNS service for
hosting domain names has been deprecated and it's hard to explain what
we mean.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation