Rebooting stops resolving for a while 2nd

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Jan 6 21:22:47 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 09:58 am, Gary Mayor wrote:

> Basically nothing works from from home computer after I reboot the
> server but I seem to be able to access the server from elsewhere
> after a reboot so what on earth is going on here.

Your "home computer", or your own router or the ISP you use, is caching
old information for a while.

While the "while" your ISP uses should be defined by your ttl (in your
case defined as 10 hours and 24 minutes), some ISPs have been known to
ignore the defined TTL and cache for whatever metric they like.

Your own router (if any) may or may not be using TTL; it should be.

Your "home computer" software is probably caching old information until
you shutdown the program and restart it; in some cases until you reboot
the computer.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation