should private and public be in different zone files?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jan 14 08:21:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 04:37:27PM -0800,
 Patrick Cairpre <cairpre409 at yahoo.com> wrote
 a message of 8 lines which said:

> Should these be in separate zone files?

I believe so. With BIND 9 views, it is quite easy.

> Is it ok to mix public and private addresses in the same zone?

Yes, in the private zone. Not in the public one, IMHO.

> I don't want the outside world to think private ips map to my machines.

I agree.

> I am not sure if bind knows that private ips are private.

No. For BIND, they are just ordinary IP addresses. And BIND does not
know what is private, you'll have to tell it in the definition of
views.