no name resolution bind 9

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jan 27 20:58:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 08:47:27PM -0800,
 newbie <connected at panservice.it> wrote
 a message of 152 lines which said:

> I'd like to configure dhcp + dns for name resolution into my lan and
> for internet access from my linux pc and other 2 windows pc.

Let's study it in order. First, since it is a BIND mailing list, I
will not talk about DHCP.

> The problem is:
> I cant ping machine in my domain by name (unknown host..)
> I can ping outside (on internet)

By name? "ping www.yahoo.com" works?

Your configuration seems OK. But you did not indicate what resolver
you use (indicated in /etc/resolv.conf). I suspect that it is not your
BIND.

Other possibility: the zone was not loaded (syntax error or something
like that). Examining BIND's log file will tell you more (see
/etc/syslog.conf to see where is the log file).

Anyway, try the following commands and tell us the results:

Default resolver:

dig A www.connected.it
dig NS connected.it

Be sure to use your BIND:

dig @X.Y.Z.W A www.connected.it
dig @X.Y.Z.W NS connected.it

(with X.Y.Z.W being the IP address of the machine which runs BIND.)