Limited Visibility

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Jan 27 21:05:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:41:56PM +0000,
 Geoff Austin <gaustin at w-sys.co.uk> wrote
 a message of 43 lines which said:

>  At least half the people I know are able to resolve addresses for
> my domain without problems, the other half cannot. I have noticed
> that those who cannot, MAY, fall into a category, which would be
> users of large ISPs as they use British Telecom, SwissCom and
> Equant.  However, this may be a red herring.

You only have two nameservers and they are in the same room. Not only
it is poor redundancy (imagine a power failure in the building), but
it also makes you very vulnerable to IP routing problems.

All your nameservers are in the same autonomous system (13037) and,
much worse, in the same subnet (82.68.177.88/29).

Since you are a customer of a recent /8 prefix (82.0.0.0/8), you may
experience old and unmaintained BGP filters. Or there is simply a
stupid routing problem which includes your prefix. You may use BGP
looking glasses <URL:http://www.traceroute.org/> to see your route
from the ISP which have the problem.

But the best solution is probably to have nameservers in different
locations.