How to host a single record

Eric Schubert eschubert at dataweb.com
Tue Jan 27 21:22:18 UTC 2004

Eric Schubert
Network Engineer
Dataweb
206-838-5940
eschubert at dataweb.com
www.dataweb.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Schubert [mailto:eschubert at dataweb.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 1:12 PM
To: 'comp.protocols.dns.bind at news2mail.com'
Subject: How to host a single record

Hi All
First time on the list. I've read you guys/gals up here are the greatest
BIND minds around so I know you can help me out.

My company 'us.com' (not really :)) is an ISP/ASP in that we host
domains and web applications on our custom platform. We usually host the
entire domain and have a unique zone file for each domain and our DNS
server is the authoritative server for all requests for that domain.

Here's what I need help with. We need to host only a host not the entire
domain and not a subdomain for a new customer. 'newcustomer.org' has
it's domain registered and pointing to their DNS servers and they have 1
A record 'certify' pointing to our webserver

nslookup on www.newcustomer.com and newcustomer.com points to
newcustomer.org web servers nslookup on certify.newcustomer.com point to
our webservers.

Question: How do I alter the zone file below for newcustomer.com so it
only answers for 'certify' and nothing else?

Here's a template of a 'standard' zone file for our setup.
$ORIGIN com.
newcompany      10800   IN      SOA     dns1.us.com. dnsadmin.us.com. (
                2001050201 3600 900 86400 10800 )
;Cl=2
                10800   IN      NS      dns1.us.com.              ;Cl=2
                10800   IN      NS      dns2.us.com.              ;Cl=2
                10800   IN      MX      10 mail.newcompany.com.
;Cl=2
                10800   IN      A       192.168.0.5
;Cl=2
$ORIGIN newcompany.com.
mywebs          10800   IN      A       192.168.0.5            ;Cl=2
www             10800   IN      CNAME   mywebs
;Cl=2
ftp             10800   IN      CNAME   ftp.us.com.               ;Cl=2
secure          10800   IN      CNAME   secure.us.com.            ;Cl=2

BIND 8.2.3 Redhat 6.1
thanks

-E