Resolution/Propagation problem

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jan 28 17:39:10 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly <linux at alteeve.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

>    (This might be seen as a cross-post. I am not sure how much overlap
> there is between this list and BIND9-Users... If I have gaffed, please
> tell me and accept my appology!)

>    I'm new here and I did do a search looking for an answer to my
> problem but I came up short. I hope I am not asking an obvious FAQ!!
> (Sorry if I am!). I am using BIND 9.2.2 on the master and one slave and
> 9.2.1 on one slave. The two servers runn 9.2.2 are on top of a fully
> updated Fedora Core 1 linux install and the 9.2.1 BIND is on top of a
> fully updated Redhat 7.3 linux install. On all three machines I have
> started 'named' in debug level 2.

>    I have a master name server and two slaves that need to host several
> zones. For the moment though I am focusing on a single test zone and
> then I will start adding the other zones later. The NS addresses
> themselves are in this zone. Specifically, the test zone is
> 'madisonave.ca' and the NS addresses are 'ns1.madisonave.ca', 'ns2...'
> and 'ns3...'. I have told the registrar to resolve 'madisonave.ca' using
> the first two name servers, 'ns1...' and 'ns2.madisonave.ca'. The names
> servers are at IPs 209.167.86.46 (ns1), 209.167.86.38 (ns2) and
> 209.167.86.34 (ns3). I do know that in order to be useful the slave will
> have to move but that is a worry for after I get them up. :)
>    If anyone can shed some light on what I have done wrong I would be
> deeply appreciative!

%% some info removed , this time all info was supplied nut not needed ! %%

Your problem is with the delegation from "ca" .

Asking one of the "ca" TLD :
> dig madisonave.ca ns @192.73.5.1

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> madisonave.ca ns @192.73.5.1
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      madisonave.ca, type = NS, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
madisonave.ca.          1D IN NS        ns1.alteeve.com.
madisonave.ca.          1D IN NS        ns2.alteeve.com.

Thus the zone "madisonave.ca." is delegated to ns[12].alteeve.com.

But there is no ip mentioned in the zone for alteeve.com.  :
; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ns2.alteeve.com.
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ns2.alteeve.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
alteeve.com.            27m4s IN SOA    interbuild.net. hostmaster.interbuild.net. (
                                        2001081905      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        5M              ; retry
                                        30M             ; expiry
                                        30M )           ; minimum

Note the NXDOMAIN above. Same goes with ns1

--
Peter Håkanson