external queries slow or timing out

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 29 23:10:40 UTC 2004

Issue queries from your internal nameserver to each of the forwarders to
check that they are answering speedily. Check that the responses have
the RA flag set in them (you'll need nslookup's debug mode, or,
preferrably, a better lookup tool like "dig", to see that). If one of
the forwarders isn't honoring recursion for your server (i.e. RA not set
in responses), then you may have a delay with respect to queries which
don't already happen to be cached on that forwarder since it'll need to
fail over to the other forwarder in order to get the answer.

- Kevin