Why would win2k's nslookup trigger a call to root servers and host, dig not?

Eel eel at javabox.com
Fri Jan 30 02:32:13 UTC 2004

Hi,
   I've intalled some new name servers and I've found that when
running nslookup on win2k to a new server it triggers a call to root
dns servers even though the particular domains are included in that
server's zones.  If I look up the names with either Linux host or dig
on that server, the root doesn't get called.

Is there any difference on the type of queries that these tools use?
I really don't want to open up calls to the root servers because it
seems like a waste of bandwidth when it's not needed.

Is it safe to assume that nslookup on win2k is just quirky or will
other lookups be timing out?

Thanks.