DNS Setup Question

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 30 23:26:48 UTC 2004

In article <bvefl2$pn2$1 at sf1.isc.org>, tnaves at linkwest.net wrote:

> My question is:
>
> Is it o.k. to let my internal dns server use the named.ca file to do name
> lookups on the Internet Root Servers or should I forward public lookups to
> my ISPs name server?  My firewall allows my internal name server to do
> lookups on the Internet Root Servers.

It should work OK either way.  If you forward to the ISP's nameserver
then you get the benefit of its large cache of queries from other
customers; lookups of popular sites will probably be a little faster.
However, the ISP's servers are likely to be heavily loaded, so you'll be
competing for its resources with all the other customers.  And if it
goes down, you'll be stuck until you reconfigure your nameserver.

I generally advise going to the root servers unless you have a good
reason not to.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA