2 problems: "temporary name lookup failures" & updating TLD servers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.af
Mon Jul 5 04:27:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 06:39:41PM -0700,
 Linda W. <bind at tlinx.org> wrote
 a message of 341 lines which said:

> Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you with practices of a decade ago.  I
> haven't been slaved to any TLD's for some number of years.  They all
> closed up zone transfers as the internet has grown and become
> commercialized.

I configured name servers more than ten years ago and I never did
that. Even in the past, it was a mistake (BIND always had caching
abilities).

And it has nothing to do with the Internet becoming "commercialized"
and everything to do with privacy and security, which are important
issues, not only for the commercial companies but for everyone.

> My inquiry was to find out how others administered their servers now
> which is different than how they might have been administered before
> the internet went commercial a bit over a decade ago.

No.

> I used to have (still do) the root servers for com, org, net,

You mean the authoritative servers for c/n/o? Because the root servers
are serving the root only (a few exceptions still linger).

> and would like it to keep it's cached data, when possible, over
> reboots.

What is your network connectivity so you need such a "caching"?