DNS bind configuration for local addresses

Andreas Guther Andreas.Guther at guther.com
Sun Jul 4 14:24:50 UTC 2004

Hi:

I am trying to figure out how to configure my named.conf and bind to look-up
local addresses without the need to have a domain registered.

I would like to define a local net that resolves all my local boxes at home.

My idea is to define a zone localdomain.localnet and then have all my boxes
defined for that zone.

I set-up a localdomain.localnet zone in the named.conf file and then defined the
boxes in the /var/named/db.localdomain.localnet file.  But that seems not to be
the complete configuration.  I do not get the addresses resolved at all that are
defined in that file.

I tried for find examples for such a set-up but all I find always seems to
assume that one needs a registered domain.

I would like to achieve a dns server set-up for a local net without the need to
having a domain registered or maintaining a public name server for such a domain.

Any pointer to examples or what especially needs to be considered would be a
great help.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas