Multiple domainnames only one IP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 6 22:02:00 UTC 2004

David W. Brown wrote:

>Hello BIND and DNS gurus, is there some DNS magic that will allow the use of a single IP address but multiple domain names? I have seen this work using BIND 8 (vis-a-vis HSPHERE) but not BIND version 9. Ideas and suggestions welcomed. Thanks, David :-)

There's nothing "magic" about it. You can point multiple A records
directly at a single IP address, point aliases (CNAMEs) to an A record
and thus have then all indirectly resolve to that IP address, or any
combination of the two. Pointing multiple A records at a single IP
address sometimes raises reverse-DNS issues (which I assume you don't
care about, since according to its documentation, HSPHERE doesn't even
do reverse DNS *cough* *splutter*), but sometimes it's necessary in
cases where a particular name *cannot* be a CNAME, such as a zone-apex
name, or something that is referenced by NS or MX records.