dchpd errors - are these to do with DNS?

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Jul 6 22:15:07 UTC 2004

Henry Law wrote:

>[I'm running Smoothwall in fact; tried the Smoothwall group but got no
>answer so I'm down to debugging the components myself...]
>
>For those who don't know, Smoothwall runs dhcpd on the local network,
>and dnsmasq to provide DNS forwarding from the ISP.  I recently
>changed the address range of my local network to 174.24.0.192/26 and
>since then I'm getting continual entries in the logs of this form:
>
>"11:04:42 dhcpd DHCPOFFER on 172.24.0.240 to 00:00:21:26:1a:7e
>(main-atx) via eth0
>
>"11:04:42 dhcpd if IN A main-atx. rrset doesn't exist add 1800 IN A
>main-atx. 172.24.0.240: timed out.
>
>"11:10:50 dhcpd DHCPINFORM from 172.24.0.240 via eth0: not
>authoritative for subnet 172.24.0.192
>
>(Apologies for folding: those are three successive lines).  Research
>suggests that, rather than being anything to do with DHCP these are
>actually dns or ddns messages, associated with dnsmasq, but I don't
>have ddns running.   And despite these messages DHCP and DNS continue
>to work flawlessly!
>
>Can someone confirm or refute the hypothesis that these are
>dns-related messages, and if so point me in the right direction to
>resolve the problem?
>
>[Apologies if this is a duplicate; the original is not on my news
>server and I've checked Google groups to confirm that it's not there
>either]
>
>Henry Law       <><     Manchester, England
>.

Most likely your address switch is the root cause for your problems. You
switch from private addresses to addresses in the public range. Why do
you want to switch to the public address range? If you now own/rent
those IPs, you want to change your smoothwall to something else/or
readjust it.

The messages are originated in DHCP and point to the above mentioned
address problems.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen