setting up MX records for a dot name domain

aljuhani aljuhani at zajil.net
Wed Jul 7 06:19:27 UTC 2004

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote

>>aljuhani <aljuhani at zajil.net> wrote:
> >that works fine but I want to have the email as:

>> First at Last.name.

>Wont work. You own "first.last.name."  you don't own "last.name."

Initially I setup first.last.name zone and then
I changed the zone to last.name and created
the MX records as indicated by others:

last.name pointing to first.last.name

but you are right that is not working
as last.name is not a valid hostname even
after creating an A record pointing last.name
to an IP address.

Further, if I perform a dig on last.name, the
dns servers at root level tend to query the
nic.name servers and only return one record
that is SOA for the nic.name zone:

      ;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
      name. 300 SOA a3.nstld.com. hostmaster.nic.name. (
     200357281  serial
     10800  refresh (3 hours)
     300  retry (5 mins)
     1209600  expire (14 days)
     300 )  minimum (5 mins)

      ;; Total query time: 5 msec

but if I dig the last.name from my own DNS Server
it will show the same records I configured.

The question, do I have to setup an A record with
nic.name to point to my server IP address in order
to make it work.

Simply I see that my DNS is only authorative for

first.last.name while

last.name is under nic.name

Thanks all for the prompt response.

Thank You,