Nomenclature question

RussellJ at louisdreyfus.com RussellJ at louisdreyfus.com
Thu Jul 8 20:00:41 UTC 2004

Perhaps I should have sent this message to this mailing list. oops.

I realize that there is no real distinction between DNS zones which are
dynamically updated verses those which are updated by editing the zone
file and reloading the zone. However, are there well known or standardized
terms to define the difference between these types of zone modifications?
My organization is trying to write internal recommendations for DNS. We
use various flavours of DNS servers which use Dynamic Update DNS, Active
Directory (which I understand is an implementation of Dynamically Updated
DNS) and some which are modified by simply editing the text file. We want
to avoid creating cumbersome phrases and descriptions or inaccurate terms
if somebody has already created apropriate nomenclature.

Best regards,
Jim Russell
SysAdmin
Louis Dreyfus IT Dept.