resolving error

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jul 9 01:20:47 UTC 2004

    >> I have a problem in resolving of my DNS server.  The domain is
    >> tradeloop.com

    >> DNS servers in same network , one( os Linux) can resolve, the
    >> others(Tru64 unix) can't.

    >> difference in servers is only OS.  I can't understand why
    >> tru64unix server can't resolv, Servers that can't resolve can
    >> access the authoritative ns , but can't get answer..  messge is
    >> timed out.

The error message is clear enough. The queries time out. Your name
server -- if that's what's doing the resolution -- can't talk to the
authoritative name servers for tradeloop.com. Since those servers are
up and responding for this domain, you have a local problem. Usually
this error message arises when the targets of the DNS queries are
unreachable or not responding. That's not the case here.

Since auth0[12].ns.harvard.net are responding just fine to queries for
tradeloop.com, the problem must be local. There are several possible
causes, none of which are DNS related. There's most likely to be a
firewall somewhere that's blocking DNS traffic from one of your name
servers but not the other. Or there's a routing error which is sending
traffic to/from the misbehaving server to the wrong place. Perhaps the
faulty server has the wrong network mask or default route for your LAN?
Maybe there's a link-level problem like a faulty MAC address or switch
port?