SPF records for subdomain

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Fri Jul 9 15:40:58 UTC 2004

Michele Chubirka wrote:

>I have delegated a subdomain to a user who has asked me to do the following:
>Add a CNAME record in my parent domain pointing to his mail server. Then had
>an SPF record in my parent domain which points to this same CNAME record.
>First, isn't this syntax incorrect? From what I've read, it is. Also, I
>don't have any other SPF records for my parent domain, wouldn't it be
>dangerous to add one such record pointing to his mail server without adding
>any records for all outgoing mail servers in my parent domain?
>

>---

SPF records should not pose any danger to your other zones, as they will
only be served along with data for that specific zone.

More info is available here: http://spf.pobox.com

My personal view is that if everyone used SPF, most if not all the spam
I see will disappear. It will not be useful to hijack anybodys PC for
spreading spam, so even worms could go down.

As for using a CNAME for the MX-record, lots have been said about that,
not good.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.