Reverse Dns Question...is it really necessary or not?

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Mon Jul 12 23:53:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:32:23PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> I think that bears further looking into. It's _possible_ that the lack
> of reverse records is the root cause, since some misguided mail
> servers/admins use reverse lookups as a kind of litmus test for spam (as
> if spammers couldn't come up with their own reverse records, duh).

AOL refuses incoming email for servers that have no rDNS, so it's
not exactly oddball mailadmins doing it. Hard-core spammers are indeed
able to make up their own rDNS, but hijacked machines often do not.

Fact of life: you need rDNS for mailservers.

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | Tustin, Calif. USA  | Microsoft MVP | steve at unixwiz.net