Reverse Dns Question...is it really necessary or not?

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Jul 14 19:35:40 UTC 2004

>if no reverse dns are setup for my domains, is it possible that I may
>miss couple of emails?

very definitely.

Using DNS records to verify incoming mail and sending IPs, at least to
assign it some level of credibility, is a solid, proven assistance in
reducing spam.

An outbound MTA having no PTR record (which means that the PTR hostname
also has a "matching" A record) is one foot in hell, imo.  It will be
considered as one strike against your attempted delivery by many MXs, where
one or two more strikes (at the envelope, pre-DATA level will mean,
increasingly, rejection.

Len