two questions: zone transfers and WKS unknown protocol

Nicole Skyrca nskyrca at syr.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:48:50 UTC 2004

Hello,
I am new to BIND so please bear with me.  I didn't find answers to my =
questions in the archives.
I'm upgrading our ISC BIND version  from  9.2.1 on Solaris 7  to 9.2.3 on =
Solaris 8.  I am also setting up a master/slave
configuration for the first time.

One of my zone files, syrhosts, on the master server contains a $INCLUDE =
statement to include another file.
The line looks something like "$INCLUDE syrhosts.manual".  When the slave =
does a zone transfer, does
it get all of the information that is in both the syrhosts and the =
syrhosts.manual file and put it in the backup
file on the slave?  Or does the slave need to have the syrhosts.manual =
file copied to it separately?  How
is the $INCLUDE statement handled with zone transfers?

My second question concerns the WKS record.  I noticed the following error =
in /var/adm/messages
when I start or HUP named v 9.2.3.  I don't get these messages for version =
9.2.1.  As a test, I tried removing=20
the "59" and "57" from the line, and I don't see the errors when starting =
named.  Did
something change between the versions?  Any ideas?

Jul 13 12:19:12  named[20707]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] dns_rdata_
fromtext: /usr/local/domain/syrhosts.manual:1132: near 'TCP': unknown =
protocol
Jul 13 12:19:12 named[20707]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] zone syr.e
du/IN: loading master file syrhosts: unknown protocol

Line 1132 looks like this:
church.case    IN      WKS     128.230.32.4 TCP 59 FTP 57 SUPDUP TELNET =
SMTP

Thank you very much in advance for your help! Please let me know if you =
need further clarification.

Nicole

Nicole Skyrca
Syracuse University