Reverse Dns Question...is it really necessary or not?

brad at shub-internet.org brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jul 15 23:35:26 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Oh, really? Do you have all of your RP records up to date? All of your
> netblocks encoded RFC 1101 style? All of the LOC records in place? How
> about your WKS records? No? Then maybe my mail servers should reject
> your messages!

You're welcome to run your mail servers however you want.  However, you
know damn good and well that WKS records are deprecated, and if you want to
be so stupid as to require deprecated records in the DNS before you accept
mail, then by all means you should be able to do so.

Indeed, I would encourage you to do so.  Please.

> This is the Fighting SPAM via Forcing All Mail Senders to Jump Through
> Irrelevant DNS Hoops approach, and the mentality really amazes me
> sometimes. Reverse DNS was never intended as a SPAM-vs-not-SPAM
> authentication mechanism; how can it be considered anything better than
> naked opportunism to use it as such?

Reverse DNS isn't irrelevant.  If you think it is, then please feel free to
delete all reverse DNS from all your domains.

Indeed, I would encourage you to do so.  Please.