Sendmail & Bind Problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jul 17 04:21:51 UTC 2004

Wayne Stewart wrote:

>We have set up a simple domain.
>"ourcompany.ca"
>
>The nameserver for is
>
>"nameserver.ourcompany.ca"
>
>If we run "dig nameserver" the process fails.
>If we run "dig nameserver.ourcompany.ca" it succeeds.
>
>We are having a problem with 'sendmail' because the 'smarthost' mailserver is also "nameserver" and sendmail reports a DNS failure for "relay=nameserver"
>
>How can we get named to respond to queries on the local subnet when the fully qualified domain name is not supplied?

"How can I get to China when I'm limiting myself to digging from the
other side of the world with a dinner fork?"

This is a situation where FQDN's work and non-FQDN's don't. So use an
FQDN. Trying to bastardize your nameservice to work with this non-FQDN
is destined to be nothing more than an ugly, nasty, disgusting hack.
Trust me on this: I've inherited such hacks from folks in our
organization who were afflicted by "shortname disease".