DNS Load Balancing

wcbasquin wcbasquin at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 17:10:13 UTC 2004

Hello,

When using round robin DNS load distribution is it possible to still
return multiple addresses in the response?  I have a situation where
the resolver can handle multiple addresses for backup, using the first
address as primary and the other addresses are stored in case the
first address becomes unavailable. My understanding is that round
robin will select from multiple address and send just one address in
the response.  If this is the case then I will loose the resiliency of
returning multiple addresses.  If this is not possible using standard
BIND could it be done with lbnamed?

Thanks,

Bill