DNS NEWBIE

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Jul 19 18:47:39 UTC 2004

> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:22:24 -0400
> From: David Michaels <david.michaels at uc.edu>
> To: Rich Parkin <RParkin at ldmi.com>
> Cc: mibsun at gibnynex.gi, bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Re: DNS NEWBIE
>

> > If you're running UNIX, find where the named executable lives on
your
> > server.  The following command should find every instance of it (and
> > anything that even looks like it):
> >
> > find / -name named
>
> Excuse me if this has been asked a million times... but why does Sun
rename the
> binary to in.named? Is this a configure option?

Not a configure option.

Dunno why, but all of the INternet daemons are called
"in.<daemon-name>" ...  Except sendmail... But sendmail is not provided
by Sun...  Modified, yes; Provided, yes, but "provided"?  No.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> --
> David Michaels
> 513-200-6745
> http://www.vt420.com
> david.michaels at uc.edu

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin