DNS NEWBIE

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 19 22:02:40 UTC 2004

David Michaels wrote:

>>If you're running UNIX, find where the named executable lives on your
>>server.  The following command should find every instance of it (and
>>anything that even looks like it):
>>
>>find / -name named
>>

>Excuse me if this has been asked a million times... but why does Sun rename the
>binary to in.named? Is this a configure option?

That's more of a SunOS/Solaris question than it is a DNS/BIND question,
since it's not just the "named" daemon binary that gets renamed, it's a
whole bunch of others as well (e.g. ftpd, telnetd, routed). This is a
naming convention. Note all of the ROC daemon binaries that are prefixed
by "rpc", e.g. rpc.nispasswdd. And Sun has been doing this a loooong
time....

As far as I know, it's not configurable.