DNS Log File maintenance

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 20 09:12:13 UTC 2004

Regan, Tim <tregan at t-systemsus.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> I was wondering if anyone has any example DNS logfile administration
> tools that preerver the log files daily via cron and compres a copy of
> the original file without loss of data?

/etc/newsyslog supplied with FreeBSD does what you ask for.

A snippet of it's config file :
# logfilename          [owner:group]    mode count size when [ZJB] [/pid_file] [sig_num]
/var/log/cron                           600  3     100  *     Z
/var/log/amd.log                        644  7     100  *     Z
/var/log/auth.log                       600  7     100  *     Z
/var/log/kerberos.log                   600  7     100  *     Z

newsyslog is OpenSource software, grab a copy use as it pleases ( it has a licence)

Or, you might even find FreeBSD superior to your current nameserver platform.

--
Peter Håkanson