Finding authority for domains in current config

Dog quaketwo at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:25:20 UTC 2004

Hello group,

Here is the situation and I'm sure that it is not an uncommon one.

A pair of "authoritative only" name servers with _many_ domains in their config.
Over time, authority has been moved from these due to customers leaving and not
informing us.

I am trying to write a script to compile a list of domains we truly are
authoritative for.  I want to proceed in a way which is least detrimental on
everyone.  I suspect that it's either hammer the whois servers or the roots for
"NS" records.

I have gotten as far as creating a "file" with the complete list of domains and
doing something like this:
#for i in `cat file`
do
dig @localhost $i ns |grep NS
done
#

The name servers in question are Solaris 9 running BIND 9.2.3.

Someone has already done this???

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.