very high i/o usage

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jul 23 11:11:53 UTC 2004

    Nir> Hello All I have a compaq G2 with 2xcpu 1.4Mhz and 2.0G ram
    Nir> and a bind 9.2.3 installed .  The server is an authorized dns
    Nir> for all our zones we have around 8000 zones(I work for Isp
    Nir> company).  the problem I see on the server is that there is
    Nir> very high i/o usage.  Befor I installed the 9.2.3 version I
    Nir> had the 9.2.3rc4 and 9.3.0rc2 and 9.2.4rc4 versions which
    Nir> worked good for one day and then The cpu usage bacome very
    Nir> high it reched the 100% and I had to restart the server.  Now
    Nir> the cpu not reached the 100% yest but the i/o is very high on
    Nir> both cpu's.  Is it a bind problem ?or maybe hardware problem?

It's impossible to answer this question from the info you've provided
above. You didn't even say what OS you're running. You could start by
telling us what process(es) were responsible for the very high amounts
of disk I/O -- define "very high" -- and CPU utilisation. A system call
trace on these processes might be helpful too.

BIND is very highly unlikely to be I/O bound. Most of the time it will
only be going to disk when loading zone files or writing log entries.
Neither of these things is likely to mean lots of disk I/O. A name
server isn't going to be CPU bound either unless it's getting
thousands of queries per second and/or it's validating DNSSEC-signed