GPRS. domain Root server

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Jul 26 20:00:34 UTC 2004

geert-jan <not at valid.com> wrote:

> <phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote in message
> news:cdiok7$2mdt$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>> Brook Harty <harty at ironwolve.com> wrote:
>> > Anyone know if there is a GPRS root domain server? British telecom had
>> > the primary and secondary servers up, but have decided to stop
>> > providing this service. They don't want to be a GRX provider anymore.
>>
>> No. It has been suggested, but rejected. It's unclear what benefits
>> it should give the world,

> It was conceived for 'GPRS network internal' resolution. The mobile message,
> originating from a mobile terminal, sent to a terminal that is not hooked up
> to the local telco's GPRS network needs to be relayed to the outer boundary
> of that GPRS network (this functionality was called APN routing).  This
> outer boundary is a node called GGSN. So the 'DNS for GPRS' was setup to
> find the proper GGSN. The GGSN is a router that could either relay the
> message to the proper telco (through the GRX name resolution) or to the
> internet.

Seems like the designers missed a few points ...

>> > What is the possibility about getting GPRS. into the normal Internet
>> > root servers? (Or is this Crazy talk?)
>> None. Better educate admins in the telecom industry about sane and
> scalable
>> practices.

> There are very good admins in the telecom industry. But organisations like
> 3GPP should come up with better, more scalable standards. And when using
> established standards, they should not violate against them, like Jim Reid
> eloquently explained. I agree with other people in this newsgroup that the
> whole setup is in clear violation of RFC2826 - "IAB Technical Comment on the
> Unique DNS Root".

Well, it's not forbidden to do prettu much everything you want on an internal
network. It's when used together with Internet things get messy unless
common habits and pratices are followed. I do not think telecom-folks was
fully aware about Internet at the time, so the mistakes might be
understandable with their background.

We who "did know about Internet" would not have done such mistakes :-)

> For the record, the IETF has requested the 3GPP to NOT further extend the
> use of the ".gprs" domain.

Good. And now let's hope telecom industry will discover the 'arpa' TLD.

--
Peter Håkanson