stub zones [was: stub zones on root?]

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Tue Jul 27 20:29:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:02:56PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:

   [ stub zones used for "delegation"--deprecated ]:

> I assume you are referring to this bit, and I can't see much benefit
> to that useage anyway. Strikes me that you can put the child NS
> records in the zone, or you can put them in the config file - 6 of
> one, half a dozen of the other.

   [ stub zone used for "inside" resolution ]:

> >Stub zones can also be used as a way of forcing the resolution of a
> >given domain to use a particular set of authoritative servers. For
> >example, the caching name servers on a private network using RFC2157
> >addressing may be configured with stub zones for 10.in-addr.arpa to
> >use a set of internal name servers as the authoritative servers for
> >that domain.
>
> So this usage, which is what I use, doesn't seem to be deprecated.
> The advantage over slave zones, as far as I can see, is that for
> zones you need to be able to resolve, but don't use much, it
> eliminates the constant zone updates that could occur for unused data
> if the zone is dynamically updated, plus it works without the master
> server having to allow you to do zone transfers

Have a look at the following explanation by Kevin Darcy from a couple of
years ago:

    http://tinyurl.com/3ouvo

For complex enterprise DNS structures, they can give some measure of
robustness and query load balancing.