running master, slave on the same computer

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Wed Jul 28 22:37:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:23:24PM +0000, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
> Max Nokhrin <mno11 at lycos.com> wrote:
> > Thanks,
>
> > For now, I think it will be OK if I have only 1 DNS server. The system
> > is only running one domain, so if it fails, not too much of a deal. But
> > thank you for the recommendations.
>
> You are wrong. There is a huge difference in "some nameservers cannot
> be reached" and "no nameservers can be reached".

It's not *always* a huge difference. If the nameserver describes resources
that go down when the nameserver does (say, at the end of a T1 line),
then in practice there is not much difference between "I can't find
www.example.com" and "I can't reach www.example.com's IP address".

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | Tustin, Calif. USA  | Microsoft MVP | steve at unixwiz.net