Newbie needs help - non-authoritative lookup, reverse zone

Arthur Penn kalahari875 at netscape.net
Wed Jun 2 14:51:09 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm a newbie trying to get BIND configured correctly on my Linux box
(Mandrake 10.0 Official). I have it successfully resolving queries but
there are some "issues." Can anyone help with these?

1) My box is configured via DHCP and serves as a router/firewall for
the local network (hostname pest, local bogus domain=supergnat.org). I
changed the DHCP setup to give out the machine's IP 192.168.71.1 as
the DNS for the local net. Other machines can query successfully, but
I think something isn't right because when I query via nslookup on a
Windows box on the local net, I get the following:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.71.1: Non-existent
domain
*** Default servers are not available
Default server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.71.1

> cnet.com
Server: Unknown
Address: 192.168.71.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cnet.com
Addresses: <lists cnet's addresses here>

How can I fix this? (Conf files follow below)

2) I set up a reverse lookup zone to try to resolve names of machines
on the local net. Since most of the local machines have their IP
addresses set by DHCP from the router, how can I get the entries for
these machine names to show up automatically in the zone file?

3) I had changed /etc/resolv.conf before to remove the nameservers of
my ISP that DHCP placed there and use my local DNS, but sometime today
something overwrote /etc/resolv.conf and put the ISP's DNSes back in
there. How can I stop this?

[/var/named/192-168-71.zone]

; Filename: 192-168-71.zone
;