The RFC or the reason why you can not create CNAME record for t he "root record"

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
Wed Jun 2 18:16:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:09:35 -0400 David Botham <DBotham at optimussolutions.com> wrote:

|> So how do we fix this?  I think a hack/patch is the only way.  But I see
|> two different ways to approach that.  Which one is likely to work in
| most
|> cases?
|
| "This" is not broken and therefore cannot be fixed.  Change your mind
| instead.

Maybe we should just take CNAME out of the RFC altogether.  I frequently
see many recommendations to NOT use it.  And the one place where it would
be useful, it doesn't work (even though I am sure it can be fixed, and
would even be compliant if the standard were updated to allow it).  As for
changing my mind, that won't happen.  I have seen this done before and it
worked then.  I will try what I can to make it work now.  Only if every
possible way to try it fails will I give up.

You're welcome to provide constructive suggestions, such which of a few
ways to accomplish it might have a better chance of working.