The RFC or the reason why you can not create CNAME record for t he "root record"

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 3 02:49:03 UTC 2004

In article <c9le43$78p$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phil-news-nospam at ipal.net wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:09:35 -0400 David Botham <DBotham at optimussolutions.com>
> wrote:
>
> |> So how do we fix this?  I think a hack/patch is the only way.  But I see
> |> two different ways to approach that.  Which one is likely to work in
> | most
> |> cases?
> |
> | "This" is not broken and therefore cannot be fixed.  Change your mind
> | instead.
>
> Maybe we should just take CNAME out of the RFC altogether.  I frequently
> see many recommendations to NOT use it.  And the one place where it would
> be useful, it doesn't work

This is hardly the "one place" where CNAME would be useful.  I expect
that for the cases you're concerned with, you also make use of it for
the www.<domain> name.  The only problem you're encountering is that you
can't implement the <domain> mapping using the same technique as you use
for www.<domain>.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA