Newbie needs help - non-authoritative lookup, reverse zone

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 21:31:20 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 09:51, Arthur Penn wrote:
> How can I fix this? (Conf files follow below)

Log output might have helped more. In your logs it probably says which
RR's dhcpd is trying to change and what errors result.

> 2) I set up a reverse lookup zone to try to resolve names of machines
> on the local net. Since most of the local machines have their IP
> addresses set by DHCP from the router, how can I get the entries for
> these machine names to show up automatically in the zone file?

named.conf might have helped too. This router (running dhcpd) is also
the nameserver? Show your zone declarations for supergnat.org and
71.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Did you "allow-update localhost;" in each?

> 3) I had changed /etc/resolv.conf before to remove the nameservers of
> my ISP that DHCP placed there and use my local DNS, but sometime
> today something overwrote /etc/resolv.conf and put the ISP's DNSes
> back in there. How can I stop this?

Change your DHCP client such that it does not overwrite resolv.conf. If
you're using dhcpcd(8), it's the -R option. If you're using something
else you'll have to look it up. If none of that makes any sense to you
at all, ask this question on a Mandrake forum (and take all the advice
you receive with a grain of salt. :)

> [/var/named/192-168-71.zone]
> NS pest.supergnat. ; naneserver address

Not "pest.supergnat.org."? Where's the "org."? Why no "A" records? Is
this supposed to be the forward zone or the reverse?

> [/var/named/named.local]
> @ IN SOA pest.supergnat. root.supergnat. (

Again no "org."

> IN NS pest.supergnat.
>
> 1 IN PTR localhost.

This looks like a reverse zone. The name makes it sound like a forward
zone. Why do you want 192.168.71.1 to resolve to "localhost."? You're
giving out incorrect information. Say, if you're on 192.168.71.2,
assuming it's a different machine, then 1.71.168.192.in-addr.arpa. is
NOT "localhost".

Have you looked at the BIND 9 ARM? You have it in HTML, probably in
/usr/share/doc/bind-$VERSION.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header