api level docs?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jun 4 01:14:57 UTC 2004

    Aaron> I am implementing split dns.  The zones that I have to deal
    Aaron> with include both internal and external resources, so I do
    Aaron> not believe that 'views' will help me.

Think again. Views are the cleanest and simplest way to implement
split DNS.

    Aaron> One of my requirements is that we maintain only a single
    Aaron> dns 'database'.  As a result, I need to parse and filter
    Aaron> BIND zone files.  In particular, I need to strip out
    Aaron> resource records which are 'internal'.

Hmmm. What you should do is maintain all of the zone data in some sort
of metafile. That'll become your 'database'. You'd then process that
metafile with a script or two to generate the zone files for the
internal and external versions of your zones. For bonus points, these
scripts could include audit trails for change management and sanity
checks on the generated zone files.