How can I setup a large ddns service environment with Bind9?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 00:32:30 UTC 2004

On Friday 04 June 2004 00:35, won seok wrote:
> I would like to setup a ddns server that can provide the ddns service
> to a few thousands of clients.

Are you talking about a public dynamic DNS service, or something for a
large company or similar site[s] under your control?

> I want to know that the bind9 can be a proper solution for this
> condition.

If the former, you need some sort of Web-based frontend for the DNS.
Google for "WeeDNS" (okay, you'll find it at your competitor, yi.org)
and read up on the protocol they developed. It was never released as
source, to my knowledge.

If the latter, ISC dhcpd and BIND can do it.

> As I known, the bind9 software require that same authentification key
> should be located at client and server simultaneously. If any
> administrator want to provide the ddns service to one thousand of
> clients, should the server maintain one thousand of authentification

Obviously not scalable. That's why you need some other form of
authentication between the users and the nameserver[s]. WeeDNS is a
means of doing that.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header