Top Level Domains

Gnos Theos spam at gnostheos.org
Sun Jun 6 05:40:36 UTC 2004

phil-news-nospam at ipal.net wrote in message news:<c9le8p$7e1$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:37:39 -0400 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>
> | Gnos Theos wrote:
> |
> |>Hello,
> |>
> |>Does anyone know of a list of TLDs that are
> |>two levels, e.g. .co.uk, or .co.jp ?
> |>
> | Um, such a thing cannot exist by definition, since a TLD is a
> | *top*-level domain. .co.uk and .co.jp are SLDs (second-level domains)
> | under the .uk and .jp TLDs, respectively.
> |
> | Perhaps you mean "a list of SLDs under which domain registration is
> | possible" (???) I'm not aware of any such comprehensive list, but at
> | least with the right terminology you might have more luck finding one...
> |

> |                                                   - Kevin
> |
> | P.S. The .us domain accepts registrations under <state>.us, but only
> | from state agencies or departments, so I'm not sure whether you'd want
> | to add those 50 SLDs to your list or not...
>
> Possibly the reason for this request is to implement a means identify a
> common authority level.  That is, to strip down a host name to just the
> registered name level, and use that for comparison.  The idea I have for
> it is to check for proper sender host where SPF data is absent.  Since
> you cannot assume an outbound mail server (SMTP client) is listed in the
> MX records for the sender's RHS domain, that test isn't reliable.  However,
> striping the MX names down to registration authority level, and comparing
> that to the similarly stripped down SMTP client reverse name, could lead
> to a sufficiently reliable level as to be practical to deploy (it would
> not be used in cases where SPF data is present).
>
> What I describe is my own interest in that kind of data.  I really don't
> know what the OP wants it for.

What I am trying to do is to determine the based domain from a host name.
suppose you have the name of a web server. Some people put the domain
name into a DNS record so that it works as a host name. For example

http://google.com will work as well as http://www.google.com

[user at squid user]$ nslookup google.com
Server:  SQUID.SUNPERF.COM
Address:  10.78.109.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.com
Addresses:  216.239.39.99, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.37.99

[user at squid user]$ nslookup www.google.com
Server:  SQUID.SUNPERF.COM
Address:  10.78.109.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.google.akadns.net
Addresses:  216.239.57.147, 216.239.57.99, 216.239.57.104
Aliases:  www.google.com

Here is a non-comprehensive list of google domains:

.google.co.cr
.google.co.hu
.google.co.il
.google.co.in
.google.co.je
.google.co.jp
.google.co.kr
.google.co.ls
.google.co.nz
.google.co.th
.google.co.uk
.google.co.ve

For all of these you need 3 sections, a tld, plus two "sub-domains",
whereas you only need a tld plus one "sub-domain" for google.com. The
semantics of the problem are difficult. I am trying to determine what
part of a hostname is a domain assigned to a specific "person". For example
.co.jp is not assigned per se to any one individual, but google.co.jp
is assigned to a "person" (Note: a corporation is treated as a person
in some legal instances). Nonetheless they could create sd2.sd1.google.co.jp,
and I would still only be interested in .google.co.jp for my purposes.

I am trying to deal with the problem that you can have

domain.jp
host.domain.jp
host.domain.co.jp
host.sub-domain.domain.co.jp
host.domain.ne.jp
host.domain.or.jp

and only return domain.jp, domain.co.jp, domain.ne.jp, or domain.or.jp
respectively.

I can ad hoc deal with problems as they arrise, but that is always
painful and fraught with error.

Thank you.