Newbie: in-addr.arpa file for a C Class

belacyrf bela at webnet-x.com
Tue Jun 8 15:55:59 UTC 2004

Most likely I'm confusing what the customer is looking for to be
honest.
Heres my confusion.  In our DNS server for block 216.X.X we have this
file:

X.X.216.in-addr.arpa.  86400   SOA    ns1.myserver.net
support.myserver.net (
                        2003012918      ; serial
                        3600    ;refresh
                        600     ;retry
                        604800  ;expire
                        86400 ) ;minim
;
; Nameservers
;
                NS      ns1.myserver.net.
                NS      ns2.myserver.net.
;
; Other records for this domain (as domain.com).
;
;   example
;               IN A    cus.tom.er.ip
;               MX 0    mailserver.domain.com
;
; Host Records (xxx.domain.com)
;
localhost       IN A    127.0.0.1
;
; Momentum Securities Reverse Entries
;
10              IN PTR  mail.domain1.com.
11              IN PTR  mail.domain2.com.
12              IN PTR  mail.domain3.com.
112             IN PTR  machine1.domain4.com.
135             IN PTR  bigblue.domain5.org.

So obviously if I lookup .10 in this block, I get the associated
domain.  The odd thing is, when I look up an IP that does not have a
PTR record I get:

Name:    wsip-216-X-X-9.sub.mydomain.net
Address:  216.231.10.9

How is that done??
Thanks again for the help and education.