a neebie DNS question

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 8 20:44:47 UTC 2004

In article <ca4u9j$1eru$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 PiotrAF <piotraf at nospam.poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> I want to start my first DNS - I have several "external" IP's - the
> question are:
> Can I have primary and secondary DNS physically on the same machine but
> different IP? Is it not-wise to do so and should I better look for other
> secondary DNS?
> Should the DNS be in the DMZ or on the firewall/router?
>
> Tahnk you for all hints/links :)

The purpose of having multiple DNS servers for a zone is reliability
through redundancy.  You should strive to have as few common points of
failure between the.  If you have them on the same machine, there's not
a single bit of redundancy, except maybe the NICs if you don't use
virtual IPs.  That's not very wise.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA