Newbie: in-addr.arpa file for a C Class

belacyrf bela at webnet-x.com
Thu Jun 10 21:06:25 UTC 2004

> > So obviously if I lookup .10 in this block, I get the associated
> > domain.  The odd thing is, when I look up an IP that does not have a
> > PTR record I get:
> >

> > Name:    wsip-216-X-X-9.sub.mydomain.net
> > Address:  216.231.10.9
>
> Oooh what a give-away!  So are you actually talking about
> 10.231.216.in-addr.arpa, hosted on {ns1,ns2}.coxmail.com?

Ahhhh crap, one little mistake.. yes it's coxmail servers. I dont like
publishing name servers in groups.  Anyways...

I think I found my problem.  I have  feeling corporate changes which
server was authoritative for our IP space and copied our zone file up
to their server.  And I was looking at a file that even though it has
correct PTR records, it wasn't being used.   So I was probably just
confused.

So just to make sure.. am I correct in assuming that there is no way
to get a dig or nslookup result of:
Name:    wsip-216-231-10-9.sub.mydomain.net
Address:  216.231.10.9

without:
10   IN PTR    wsip-216-231-10-9.sub.mydomain.net

in my zone file?