Newbie: in-addr.arpa file for a C Class

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 11:14:26 UTC 2004

bela at webnet-x.com (belacyrf) wrote:

> Ahhhh crap, one little mistake.. yes it's coxmail servers. I dont like
> publishing name servers in groups.  Anyways...
>
> I think I found my problem.  I have  feeling corporate changes which
> server was authoritative for our IP space and copied our zone file up
> to their server.  And I was looking at a file that even though it has
> correct PTR records, it wasn't being used.   So I was probably just
> confused.

The issue about trying to obscure the info you give out is that, as in
this case, you can lead people down the wrong track: trying to see why
your nameserver is responding with data you haven't put in the zone file,
when actually it turns out to be a different nameserver responding.

> So just to make sure.. am I correct in assuming that there is no way
> to get a dig or nslookup result of:
> Name:    wsip-216-231-10-9.sub.mydomain.net
> Address:  216.231.10.9
>
> without:
> 10   IN PTR    wsip-216-231-10-9.sub.mydomain.net

As Barry Margolin said, that would be "9 IN PTR".

> in my zone file?

That's the simplest way of doing it.  A wildcard record, "* IN PTR",
couldn't give an address-specific name like wsip-216-231-10-9, but
would return a generic name for those addresses without individual PTRs.

Another approach would be to use a modified nameserver (something like
walldns <http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/walldns.html>), if that would be worth
the effort.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>