Looking for DNS reverse lookup service

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 14 23:32:26 UTC 2004

Dave Humes wrote:

>A few weeks ago I stumbled accross a for-fee service that claimed to provide
>all the names associated with an IP address rather than just the single name
>that you get with a typical nslookup reverse lookup.

Oh, really? That's a rather extravagant claim. Can they find A records,
pointing to Internet addresses, that I add to my *internal*,
firewalled-off, unroutable DNS too? Even if the claim is limited to "DNS
visible from the Internet", that's an awful lot of data to go through
periodically, and the data would tend to get stale almost as soon as it
was added to the database. Also, some folks use A records with encrypted
or hashed names for various reasons, and don't allow zone transfers of
their zones. How would this service find one of those, if the A record
happened to point to the address of interest?

>Unfortunately, I
>forgot to bookmark the site and have now googled through about 20 pages
>without success.  Can anyone provide a referal for this service?

I seriously doubt this service is worth your time or money...