Non-local DNS resolution question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 15 00:03:24 UTC 2004

Robert Lowe wrote:

>>    >> Having scanned the archives, it appears I put:
>>    >>
>>    >> digitalriver.com NS fc-2kdc-01.fireclick.com.
>>    >> digitalriver.com NS fc-2kdc-02.fireclick.com.
>>    >> fc-2kdc-01.fireclick.com.  A 192.168.254.26
>>    >> fc-2kdc-02.fireclick.com.  A 192.168.254.27
>>
>>    >> in the root zone file.
>>
>>    Robert> No, don't do this.  Use a forward zone in your named.conf files
>>
>>No! Don't do this either. A DNS "solution" that involves forwarding is
>>almost certainly broken. Configure your local name server(s) as slaves
>>for the digitalriver.com zone. These servers don't have to be listed
>>in the NS records for digitalriver.com. This way your local name
>>servers will be less dependent on the existing digitalriver.com
>>servers and your overall DNS infrastructure will therefore be more
>>robust and stable.
>>

>Late getting back to this... if he has the option of acting as a slave,
>and both parties are willing to do the work (and it might be trivial,
>but if there are lots of zones, it may not be), then I'll agree.  If not,
>there is nothing inherently "broken" about using a forward zone (and yes,
>Bob, one entry will cover all subdomains).  Interacting with private partner
>networks is what it's there for, and while some may misuse the feature, and
>others just don't like it, that's not to say it should be avoided at all
>costs.

I think what you're forgetting (or overlooking) is the "stub" option.
This gives most of the benefits of slaving without the zone-transfer
overhead, and most of the benefits of forwarding without as much
fragility (or, as Cricket would say, "brittleness") or scalability
problems (since forwarding basically shifts the name-resolution workload
from the local nameservers to the forwarder(s)). "stub"s are especially
efficient at deeply-delegated hiearchies, since they cache referral
information for the relevant nameservers all of the way down the chain
and can therefore "shortcut" future queries. The only thing that
seriously trips up "stub"s are what I call "iceberg" hierarchies, where
the authoritative servers for the apex zone (or perhaps a few levels
below) are directly queriable, but the authoritative servers for the
various descendant zones are not. Improper delegation often compounds
the problems I have with such hierarchies. In those cases, forwarding
must be used. In fact, I would say generally that forwarding should not
be used except where there are connectivity issues ("forward only" mode)
or there is a demonstrated performance benefit ("forward first" mode).