Event Id 5774

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jun 15 13:40:46 UTC 2004

Jim Carver" <jcarver at carverscomputer.com> wrote:

>Recently I setup Windows Server 2000, the DNS Server.  I
>keep getting the same error I don't how to fix it. The error is
> Event Type: Error
>Event Source: NETLOGON
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 5774
>Date:  6/12/2004
>Time:  6:58:53 PM
>User:  N/A
>Computer: WOLF
>Registration of the DNS
>record '_kpasswd._udp.carverscomputer.com. 600 IN SRV 0
>100 464 wolf.carverscomputer.com.' failed with the
>following error:
>DNS server unable to interpret format.
>Data:
>0000: 29 23 00 00               )#..
>
>How do you fix it?
>Thank you

My queries show that the nameservers for

     carverscomputer.com
are
     ns1.fidalgo.net
     ns2.fidalgo.net

and that the Windows 2000/2003 "_" subdomains are not delegated to
another DNS server.  Both of these nameservers are running 8.3.4-REL.

The 5774 EventID text is misleading.  When it states

     DNS server unable to interpret format

it really means

     The DNS server refused the dynamic DNS request.

The Netlogon process sent a DDNS update packet to the master server for
the

     carverscomputer.com

zone, and the BIND server at

     ns1.fidalgo.net

refused the DDNS request.

For assistance in integrating W2k with BIND, I suggest looking at the
archives of this list and its recently merged list bind9-users at isc.org
for more assistance.

What I have done is place the four/six "_" zones on a MS W2003 DNS
Server and have those zones slaved on my BIND servers.  That way, the
Windows Domain Controllers can do their SRV and CNAME dynamic DNS
updates in a secure manner (the MS security is not yet implemented in
BIND).
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov