bind9-users Digest V5 #155

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Tue Jun 15 16:52:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:46:41AM +0200, Sten Carlsen wrote:
> Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
>
> Yes for mobile and even portable (battery operated) devices all
> interfaces not needed will be not just down, they will be "power off".
> This leaves the question of switching sequence: current if goes down
> (off line) before next is started. Or opposite? I believe in the first.

	With my proposal, it does not matter. The key is too keep
configuration associated with interfaces through the "include"
directive.

> A user will always(?) use the cheapest way to connect and only when that
> fails switch to the next option (if any).

	Not always. I can see more complex policies than that (that's
what I'm currently researching). You may want to take into account
your bandwidth need as well, and QoS constraints ;-)

> If this is true, clean up is
> much easier and only the code for each if going up or down needs to be
> involved. This is pretty much current situation, where this gets messy
> is when you also have fixed (static) setups involved, and when DHCP or
> PPP will not provide the needed details.

	But even with static config, the judicious use of the
"include" directive with scripts can help tremendously.

> Fresh from the system (behind a NAT. All details given by DHCP):
>
> silver:/etc>cat resolv.conf
> domain s-carlsen.dk
> nameserver 192.168.14.254

	What's interesting is how the content of this file evolves as
you connect to multiple networks.

> All the resolver/* stuff is for "Rendevouz" = multicast DNS , even that
> works together with windows on a separate isolated network.

	Fortunately, we are not dealing (yet) with multicast DNS ;-)

> Best regards
>
> Sten Carlsen

	Jean